The journey for the Rose of Peace
On Sunday 13 July 2014 a delegation of Treaty of Ghent members, officers and friends departed for the other side of the Atlantic. This trip established a link between Ghent, Ottawa and Washington, and part of their travel baggage – so to speak – was a rose that was destined for a new dawn. The original rose was brought over from Ghent in 1814 by the American delegation. This new version – a rose of peace – has been taken to the gardens of the Belgian Embassies in Ottawa and Washington, and will be nurtured there.